The Project Management Plan defines how the project is executed, monitored, controlled and closed. The first component of the Project Management Plan is the Scope Management Plan.
The Scope Management Plan addresses the following:
• Defines how the Scope of Work will be created
• Defines what the Scope of Work will contain (Scope exclusions, process and physical scope, organizational scope, application scope, deliverables, Work Breakdown Structure aka WBS)
• Defines what constitutes the baseline Scope for change management purposes. This is not the actual Scope it is the sources of Scope (e.g. “The deliverables as listed in section x of document z and the approved WBS”)
• Includes a plan for change management: How change is requested, authorized, and documented
• Describes the process for getting approval for completed deliverables
• Reference the Project Charter for the priority of Scope in the triple constraints